Job BoardSous Chef
Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino is located in beautiful Kananaskis Country just off of Highway 1 and Highway 40! Only 30 minutes west of Calgary and 15 minutes east of Canmore, we are a mountain resort offering countless amenities including 110 beautiful rooms and suites, a state-of-the-art casino, an exhilarating pool and waterslide, two restaurants and exciting adventures throughout the year. This is a great place to work!
The Sous Chef is responsible for the overall success of all culinary venues and takes the lead in the absence of the Executive Chef. Attendance in this position is expected to meet all business needs and staffing levels. Performance is directly measured by the success of all kitchen operations including Customer and Staff satisfaction as well as productivity and financial targets.Specifically, all food production from all outlets including a la carte, buffets, and banquets.
- Provide direction, set performance objectives, assess employees and report findings directly to Chef
- Works hands on with employees to train and maintain standards of practice, recipes and guidelines
- Ensures that all cook and hold temperatures are maintained and recorded
- Ensures minimum wastage and that FIFO rotation methods are used
- Ensures that all kitchen equipment is cleaned and sanitized after every use
- Reports kitchen deficiencies to the Executive Chef
- Manage other initiatives or duties as required
- Ensure Cooks adhere strictly to sanitation, food preparation and recipe guidelines set in kitchen binder.
- Properly monitor cooks working hours making sure the person is working per schedule.
- Take note of late ins, no call/ no shows and pre-approve all over time hours with executive chef.
- All discrepancies and pertinent information to be written in Daily book.
- Ensure proper storage of all inventory.
- Can identify how and when perishable product is to be used before wastage happens.
- Monitoring waste sheet to ensure that we are doing all we can to not create wastage needlessly.
Education and Qualification Requirements:
- Grade 12 education or suitable combination of education and experience
- Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal
- Criminal Record Clearance mandatory
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience as a Sous Chef; Red Seal Certification and asset
- Be detail oriented and quality driven
- Must be able to perform in a high-pace stressful environment
- Have an understanding of all basic cooking methods: braising, poaching, roasting, steaming, sauté, grilling, and blanching
- Ability to confidently demonstrate leadership qualities
- Ability to increase production levels and work output to match business needs
- Work well under pressure
- Have a high tolerance for repetition
- Be reliable
- Be food safety savvy
- Have endurance to work on your feet all day with light-medium lifting
- Handle multiple tasks at once while remaining enthusiastic
- Demonstrate willingness to jump in and assist with other areas in the kitchen as needed
Work Environment Considerations: Regular kitchen environment, non-traditional work hours, exposure to heat and cold, risks of cuts and burns, availability for all shifts - weekends and evenings